PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Seaplane down off Miami Beach
View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2005, 17:51
jondc9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok

NOW we know the mallard had the plumbing to crossfeed fuel it can easily be understood that these lines may have broken and allowed the fuel to go "vapor" and ignite...either electrical bits or the hot bits of the engine(which seems quite intact as is the prop on the right side)

I will say I think that the wing came off and THEN all the fuel on the right side caught fire.

I will say that I think that some time ago some odd sort of stress happened which grew over time to the disaster we have seen. Could sal water corrosion be a part? sure. But maybe not.

HOW many on the forum remember the DC10 at chicago that went down in the late 70's because a crack in the mount was made by using an unapproved maintenance procedure in swapping engines?

The DC10 was grounded for about 3 weeks and a few others were found with cracks. (other factors to be sure in this crash)

Metal Fatigue is not new, stress cracks are a small section of metal fatigue.

I encourage you all to either read, "No Highway" by nevil shute, or see the movie called, "No Highway in the Sky" starring Jimmy Stewart. Both made PRIOR to the
COMET disasters of 1954 (age not a factor there!)

And to all you Britishers out there! You should be very proud of Mr. Nevil Shute and the work of the Royal Aircraft Establishment.

Oh, by the way, WW2 in the pacific would not have been won without Grumman Fighter planes like the Wildcat, Hellcat, BearCat, TigerCat. Neil Armstrong and Buzz
Aldrin would not have landed on the moon without the Grumman Lunar (excursion) Module.

Maybe all planes should be made with a time bomb on board. Big clock warns when it will go off to everyone getting on board.

20 year countdown and then get away from the thing!

Trouble with grumman is that this plane was too well made. 50 plus years is alot.

jon