PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southwest B737 Overrun @ Chcago MDW
View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2005, 17:38
RatherBeFlying

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts
fb

I suspect that during heavy braking and reverse there is a surplus of force to keep the nosewheel strut fully compressed and the AOA constant.

Until back stick reduces that force below the force to keep it fully compressed, it ain't gonna come up and the AOA will stay put.

Certainly the downforce on the nosewheel strut varies with a/c type, weight, cg, speed, trim/elevator position, spoilers, braking couple, reverser couple.... those with the data might be able to work out the moments and couples and put it into tables. This data may or may not be in the simulator software -- it would be interesting to know.

The institutional question is what does / can a line pilot do with this technique until the manufacturer, authorities and airlines work it into the SOPs and distances.

I don't really think this is a technique that should be used by dispatch to shave margins further. I'd rather keep it in the back pocket for when something extra is needed to stop before going off the end because the runway ain't what I was expecting.

regards,
rbf