PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BM FUEL PROBLEMS??
View Single Post
Old 6th May 2001, 21:58
Wig Wag

Red face

Having worked for a few companies I detect a common thread linking those Captains who operate on minimum fuel. Invariably these types are trying to impress management with their 'superior' judgement. Older heads on the line have seen it before and wait with amusement for the inevitable diversion and/or landing on the bare minimum fuel. First Officers loathe these Captains because of the extra pressure they put on the day.

It is a pointless practice as the savings are minute when compared to the airlines other expenditure. Not least is the cost and havoc of a diversion.

The point I am making, and I don't know whether it applies to the airline mentioned in this thread, is that fuel policies are very sensitive matters. Just one little hint that the company would like you to save fuel and some ambitious type will chance it by showing he is better than the rest of the fleet.

Many years ago, having loaded extra fuel for a trip to the Mediteranean, we were caught out when sea fog obliterated our destination at the intermediate approach stage. The (unforecast) sea fog took out our alternate whilst diverting. Obviously the situation resolved itself otherwise I wouldn't be writing this thread.

I will never bow to any corporate silliness about 'the need to save' fuel. Try sitting up there with tanks running dry and nowhere to land. Its quite to most umpleasant experience imaginable.

[This message has been edited by Wig Wag (edited 06 May 2001).]