PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Zero speed auto > Hover (without gaining airspeed)
Old 22nd Dec 2005, 15:25
KikoLobo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blender!

Where did you do this?

Its a nice idea... The floats i mean

I did some OGE Hovering autos at bell school, we where about 200-250 feet and the 206B, gladly stopped the descent rate with an abrupt collective pull at the right time (at the bottom )...

The only thing to notice, is that it was me, the pilot and 40 minutes worth of fuel on board on a very low altitude place (alliance airport, in Dallas), the only thing that was not on our favor was low winds (almost zero wind) and hot day. Not humid though. But very low on weight... Certainly teached me what i should try to avoid flying in....

QUESTION (NO DEBATE PLEASE!): SWP or VRT, requires POWER... So how can one enter one in an auto rotation??? (Not possible). Also some concerns grew that you could enter one on the recovery process, well if you pull collective at the last moment, arrest descend and the open the throttle, you can't get in there, cause ur descent rate its going to be slower than 300fpm, or you are dead.

A word though... I would never attempt to recover from this, i would go to land, and attempt it with a good instructor that knows what he is doing... If on a robbie, try it with a factory instructor or someone with vast experience, if on a bell try it with a good bell instructor.

170\'

How did the UH1H bahaves on autos, compared to a 206B?

That was a job well done man!
Congrats. Do you have any pics?

What cause the shaft brakage?