PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Zero speed auto > Hover (without gaining airspeed)
Old 22nd Dec 2005, 15:21
170'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More in context with zero speed auto's than SWP...

I had a chance to go thru CHC's mountain flying course in Penticton...

This was a long time ago (JR was the CFI,maybe still is, anyone know?)...During the course we were taught 100' hovering auto's in the Short leg 206's used for training...

Pretty spooky stuff at first, but by the time you get to do it yourself, you were pretty happy that the IP's there are (were?) helo God's, and would keep you out of trouble.

These weren't power recoveries, but to the ground...

It was the first and last time I ever got to practise the manouevre and wouldn't want to try it solo as a training exercise. But life gave me an opportunity for real, with a busted short shaft in a UH1H .

Basically just went 210 feet straight down, did a partial pitch pull(and lever down again) around 80-100' and then waited 'til I couldn't stand it any more and pulled it all in....wrecked the machine due hostile terrain. Can't really say how it would've worked out on flat clear ground. but I think SWP or VRS is the last of your worries in this type of scenario, no time for anything to develop....more a case of lucking out with the timing...

I think the average pilot(me) is pretty lucky to land undamaged from a vertical auto above the normal hover auto height,plus or minus a few feet...simply because we don't get a chance to practice!

In regards to flying out of SWP/VRS (hard to find a difference while it's happening) with Power, I have to agree with Nick Lappos...Done it many times with 214B's which leads me to agree with Aesir on Bell products...

Merry Christmas to all...