PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British (Rentokil) Airways
View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2005, 10:31
Artificial Horizon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't get me wrong guys/girls, I don't agree with BA trying to backstep now on a promise that was made to you when you joined. I think it is wrong and if I were in your position I would fight tooth and nail to keep the best part of my remuneration package. What I am getting fed up with is the fact that it is just expected that I should support a call for industrial action to support something that doesn't affect me. I have heard the argument that it does affect me as a raise in company contributions towards my pension is also a demand being made from BALPA. Now you can call me a pessamist but when the offer is put on the table to keep NAPs in return for an increased contribution from the members but with no gain for the new pension then I am not confident that all of the pilots who expect me to strike will say "NO, not until you address the new pension"!! I am not complaining about my pension, I knew full and well when I joined the details of it. I have just accepted that in this day and age I will be lucky to retire with any private pension that is truely worthwhile. Current projections show that my pension if retiring at 60 will be worth 12-14k per year, for every extra 5k per annum that I would like I have to save an extra 100k in the pot!! What all this stacks up to is the fact that I have to seek alternative means for my retirement, an extra couple of percent from the company will not, for me, make a difference to my need to look elsewhere. Additionally, it would not suprise me if in 15 years time the company contributions into my pension dissappear all together. So good luck guys, I hope that you succeed, and hey if it comes down to a stike then I will have no captains to fly with anyway