PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - £60,000 - £70,000 debt? WORTH IT?
View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2005, 02:26
mo90

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi all,

just thought i'd throw in a bit of an opposing arguement to the debate! Not sure if i'm missing something but it seems like a certain, dare i say the name....CTC..... are being overlooked. For any wannabees this has got to be worth looking at.

As a simplified explanation, 60K unsecured loan, 18 months training, thus far a 100% success rate at placing cadets in jets(as far as I know). If you start at easy - the major partner airline - you will be on a slalary (currently displayed on their site, but likely to change soon with the ongoing negotiations there) of around 26-28K after sector pay etc has been accounted for. Wilst earning this salary they pay off 1K per month from your loan - meaning around 7 years to pay it off fully.

Other partner airlines such as Thomas Cook, BA, First Choice... will pay a salary in the region of 40K from which you will pay off your own loan - a similar financial position to being at easy. I reckon I could scrape by on that salary for 7 years, and thats without any promotions etc.

The brucy bonus of this scheme is the shiny jet at the end, and the weight taken off your mind as you train that CTC will place you - it is highly unlikely that you will have to go hunting(lets all hope that the boom continues). The company's profit comes from 'selling' their cadets to airlines - if you don't get employment, they lose out.

Yes there are risks, but if you want the job badly then they are risks you are willing to take, CTC also cover the first 30K of your training costs should you fall at any point in the course - part of the reason their selection is tough is that they don't want you to fail - they rely on you getting through. This can't be a bad thing.

As I said I hope this post fits in with the thread - somebody had to say it Hope I haven't sent you all to

Oh..and 1 last disclaimer - for the anti-CTC (Oxford) guys out there, i'm not implying that it is a better school than the others, just hoping to shed a bit of light on the finances etc - I don't feel it has to be a road to financial ruin!!!