PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southwest B737 Overrun @ Chcago MDW
View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2005, 01:45
flybubba

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting discussion about whether to apply back pressure on the yoke to improve braking. I don't think that this would work. I believe the center of gravity and center of lift are close to where the main gear are mounted. Once on the ground, I think the main gear wheel/ground contact point is just a pivot point about which the tailplane forces work. At this point, changing the tail plane force can work two ways: If you apply foward force on the yoke, you reduce the main wing AOA, reducing lift, increasing the main gear WOWs and thus increasing friction. IF you apply back force on the yoke, you are increasing AOA, lift, thus reducing WOW and friction force. In addition you reduce the nosewheel force thus reducing steering effectiveness. I think this idea is not correct.

OK, upon further thought here are things to ponder:
The question is where is the center of lift and center of gravity relative to the main gear footprint. By changing the tailplane force here is what happens: The main wing lift is changing. This does two things. There is a change in the lift force vector, but there is also a change in the torque due to this lift force vector acting about the main wheel footprint. Anyone care to comment?