PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Type Rating - which type, where, why pay etc?
Old 21st Dec 2005, 20:45
First.officer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Have to say that your absolutely right fair weather flyer - your comments certainly sound reasonable to me - i equally agree with B200Drvr's comments about a 1000hr+ guy being more suitable for certain situations that may arise over and above the 300hr+ guy's experience. My main gripe was (and still is) the way in which many, many people here on the forum are completely and utterly hell bent on jumping from a great height on anyone who may dare to utter the words "anyone recommend a good TRTO ?" etc., etc. - just seems completely unfair to me ! (and i'm sure that most of the guys asking these types of question are under no illusions and would agree that the more hours and experience you gain, the more proficient a pilot you'll become). I agree that the thinking within the airline world with regard to recruitment these days may have a lot more to do with financial aspects than years previous but markets have changed and they will adapt to maintain a competitive edge in a fierce marketplace, this being one method of cost-cutting at their disposal should a TR'ed candidate make the grade at interview level - not defending the situation, just the way it is at the moment as i see it and we all want the best for ourselves don't we ?.
Have to admit i also wonder about some peoples' point of view with regard to SSTR's when they're admonished about enquiring about SSTR's and informed they're "jumping the queue" (admittedly not on this thread but i've seen it on others) - i wasn't aware of any official queue or right to be employed by an airline given a certain time served in the air, i thought it was a case that like all other jobs, you have to prove yourself as a suitable and worthy candidate for the position - please correct me if i'm wrong on this point and i'll gladly wait my turn in line.
Lastly, apologies if i appear a "grumpy sod" - i'm not, just feel the need to address a situation as i see it at the moment - and i sincerely hope that all of us (high or low hours) eventually gain the position we all work so damned hard for and spend are hard earned money on sooner rather than later.