PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Type Rating - which type, where, why pay etc?
Old 21st Dec 2005, 19:21
Fair_Weather_Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think it's a good idea to get to much time doing instruction if you want to make progress towards the airlines. It's good for a while to build hours but it just becomes a rut after a bit. At the end of the day you're not flying the plane! I have given about 500hrs of instruction myself so I do have some idea what I'm talking about.

I do agree with B200 driver that a 1000hr pilot is more qualified to fly an A320/B737 than a 300hr pilot. Varied general aviation experience and some turbo hours would make a very good pilot indeed. Some of the 300hr guys seem to lose sight of the fact that more hours would make them better flyers than just a TR. The problem is that many of the airline recruitment people seem to have lost the plot as well. Given the choice between an experienced none rated flyer and a 300hr guy with a TR many seem to be taking the type rated pilot. If you can afford the TR with some line time to back it up then go for it. I'm very tempted to buy a TR myself even though I know I shouldn't. I'd go for the 737NG; should make you employable for years to come; if you pass with low hours!

Last edited by Fair_Weather_Flyer; 21st Dec 2005 at 20:28.