PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RT Question
Thread: RT Question
View Single Post
Old 21st Dec 2005, 17:49
Wheelybin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chilli Monster,
agree with everything you have said but you have in your answer made a number of assumptions and only considered the situation from the point of the controller and not the pilot.
" Sounds like their was no other traffic". Even if this were the case, the full traffic picture is going to be more apparent to the controller than it is to the pilot. ( especially, ironically, if they are giving early clearances in the circuit).
"ATC should be checking the runway" . Again, of course correct but we all have heads down tasks and a final report acts as a trigger point to just have another look to ensure that our clearance remains safe.
Of course as a controller I would pass significant changes in wind direction and strength but again from a pilot point of view, they do not know for sure that the wind has not changed since the time they were downwind just because I have not passed it.
I believe MikeeB showed good airmanship in making the final report and would certainly not discourage any pilot of any experience from doing the same in the future, unless expressly asked by the controller to not make the report.

Wheely