PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 'Scathing' report on BA Maintenance practices
Old 21st Dec 2005, 16:20
Jet II

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry AMF (& BOAC) I cannot agree.

The next time we are staring at a smoking hole at the end of the runway to explain it away to the relatives of those killed with - "Oh we found out who's at fault and he's an unprofessional idiot case closed" - is not in my opinion (and the opinion of the CAA, AAIB, FAA & NTSB) a professional response.

Considering that maintenance errors are increasing as a cause of accidents then the type of investigation by the AAIB into the causes of the error (rather than just blaming the individual as an idiot) seem to me to be the best way forward for flight safety.

If you have ever been involved in a post-accident investigation then you would know that there are many causal factors that come together to create one failure - there is no single cause. Yes sometime the cause may well be failure by the individual concerned, but then you need to investigate as to why he failed - did he have enough or the correct type of training?, did he have the correct tooling?, was he/she in a fit mental state to do the job, etc.

There are many factors involved - the culture of blaming individuals had, I thought died out years ago, maybe not..