PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Time to give up!
View Single Post
Old 21st Dec 2005, 14:12
Katanaman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't give up

PLEASE DO NOT GIVE UP

Please do not give up. It took me since 1997 part-time while working in London to get to CPL/IR FIC and then I worked for 18 months and ran into Sept 11th.

I then got another job instructing and eventually got my first job with a turbo-prop operator. I had 2300 hrs at the time.

I wrote to everyone and his dog, followed leads and spoke to anyone who might help.

Eventually I just targeted two airlines and was realistic and went for the turbo-prop world.

I got told to take a hike, etc, etc. Eventually I got the call, after turning up on the doorstep of one airline on a number of occasions and not getting to see anyone each time, but my name got through.

When I got the interview they said we know you have been keen etc - end of story. I believe you have to get out there; writing letter is only a small part of the process of winning over a place on your first interview.

I only did 16 months of turbo-props and then went to a major Gatwick based airline and have never looked back. The transition from the turbo-prop outfight was so much better and I got treated like a person.

Its all about the first job and I think depending on circumstances you have to be prepared to go anywhere and accept the terms and conditions (initial jobs are never the best).

The future is bright, but its all about the approach – never give up.

Good luck