PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BM FUEL PROBLEMS??
View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2001, 19:22
doggonetired

Wink

This is a most interesting thread.
It seems to me (a complete novice at this game) that it encompasses so many disciplines, most, if not all of which make our job so rewarding and previously highly regarded.
We all (as far as I’m aware) have SOP’s, in varying degrees better or worse than others and most of us (one or two always slip through the net) have a brain (although the current CAA filtering system does not allow for THIS fact).
We are trained for the most part, to reasonably high standards and are encouraged to share our wealth of knowledge, ideas and thoughts with those around us (both inside and outside of) the aircraft. So it is fantastic that we have this medium with which to discuss the issues that we are faced with on a daily basis.
It is I think, both fortunate and unfortunate then, that those very same SOP’s that protect us usurp most of our abilities and although hinting at a measure of free thought, in the hands of the (equally?) well-trained lawyers will surely condemn us in our hour of need if we do not follow their “advice”.
Those of you who have managed to stay thus far with my ramblings are now treated (?) to my plagiarised wisdom.
KEEP IT SIMPLE, STUPID.
The “book” is clear in my outfit. It EVEN gives us a flow chart!! The choice isn’t really ours to make, given “System controls are in the normal configuration for the phase of flight prior to the initiation of a non-normal procedure”.
Why is it with so much emphasis on CRM,
HD says; “two BM aircraft indicated that they were effectively short of fuel”
Are they, aren’t they? This sounds like skirting the issue.
We are taught to communicate.
How many times has the comment between pilots been “where’s s/he sending us now”?
And how about from ATC “could you let us know before you slow down/speed up” (not personally, honest!)
Whilst I agree the over burdened airwaves could well do without more superfluous R/T a few well chosen words could enlighten both agents as to the train of thought and intentions of those concerned.
A wise old (80 something and still instructing) CFI told me what we all know; “The trick is in avoiding a situation where we need to use our skill to extricate ourselves from that situation”.
I don’t know if there is a right or wrong answer but we at least have the ability to discuss it and this must be good, if only so we have more experience to call on in our judgement and decision making processes.

In my company, as far as I am aware, nobody is “invited for tea and bickies” for carrying a “reasonable” extra.

P.S. I’m not a statistician but your comment Snooky about repeating an unlikely event I don’t think changes the odds of the event (tossing a coin is always a 50-50 chance no matter how many times you do it)