PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Type Rating - which type, where, why pay etc?
Old 21st Dec 2005, 12:08
Nimbus5

B200drvr's original post here recommended to get an instructor rating and build hours rather than buy a type rating. I must state that I do agree one should not buy a speculative type rating, though I do think it's fine to pay for a TR if you have a conditional job offer requiring that. The only exception to that opinion would be getting a speculative TR from GECAT, but their selection criteria is very, very high. If you pass their selection though, you can be about 99% sure of ending up with a job after their TR course.

One thing you should be aware of when building hours as an instrcutor is that many airlines apply a factoring system to instructor hours, wherein you get credit for these hours on a 2:1 or 3:1 ratio. This means to get credit for 1000 hours instructor time, you might have to build 2000 or 3000 hours depending on which airline you apply to. This might seem unfair, but the point is that when you are instructing, you are not normally on the controls the whole time so some airlines prorate your time by factoring.

I don't post this to change the debate to one about the pros and cons of factoring, or the relative value of instructor experience, rather merely to point out that factoring exists as those considering the instructor hour building route need to be aware of this policy.

Finally, the last guy I know who bought a speculative type rating took two years to find his first job in type. If he'd added an instructor rating, he would have at least been getting paid to fly during those two years instead of begging, borrowing and stealing to stay current. (The latter is not far from the truth either as he was logging off the financial books 737 sim time through rather dubious means!)