PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mature, married, low time.....any hope?
View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2001, 15:27
pjm1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Highbypass- I have two questions:
1- Do you have your ATPL subjects ?
2- Is your family happy to move interstate ?
If yes to both, you have all the hope in the world. My suggestion is to go Northern Queensland, The Territory or WA. You may have to fly singles for a larger proportion of your early career, but in my experience it is more likely to be a full time position, which allows you to financially survive with a family (you still won't live well). Also, after comparing my five years in the NT,at up to 900hrs/yr, things can happen a little faster for you, than instructing casually at (guess) 300hrs/yr. At 29, and prepared to go to a remote community for a couple of yrs at the most,and then in the likes of Cairns or Darwin, and - you already have your ATPL subjects-, it is completely possible to be at age 32 in a regional airline down south. The reason I'm hammering the ATPL's down your throat is that in most full time GA jobs , you spend a lot of hours on the job. It's difficult to find the time to study long distance, especially with a family, and very expensive and difficult to organise time off to come down south for a course. I knew a couple of guys that had enough hours for the airlines long before they passed their subjects.
And finally, it's such a great part of Australia, you may just choose to stay there.