View Single Post
Old 21st Dec 2005, 03:31
Eden99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FAAA NEWSLETTER

21 December 2005

Attention all Qantas Long Haul Flight Attendants

JFK BALLOT - 71% SAY YES

I wish to advise members that an overwhelming 71% of members have voted to accept the FAAA recommendation to continue the dispensation allowing the LAX-JFK-LAX shuttle.

The FAAA received 1594 votes or approximately 50% of those eligible to vote. The breakdown of votes is as follows:

YES 1132 VOTES

NO 458 VOTES

INFORMAL 4 VOTES

It is deeply satisfying that the bulk of our members have understood and accepted the FAAA recommendation to vote YES. This vote was not so much about whether a multi sector duty hour limitation should be exceeded by an average 59 minutes, rather, it was about whether Long Haul crew were prepared to see the realities around them and if so, were prepared to act rationally and pragmatically.

In light of conventional wisdom and the views of some, that crew would reject the dispensation, it is a testament to crew that a big majority of our members have understood the arguments put to them by the FAAA as to why a YES vote was so important.

To those that had a genuine contrary view to that of the FAAA and the bulk of their colleagues, I say please do not feel disappointed. This was about the membership deciding the issue and the membership has decided the issue in a decisive manner.

I believe in hindsight that many who voted NO will shortly come to the view that a continuation of the JFK dispensation was the correct decision.

Now that the ballot has been decided, it is appropriate to make a strong point. The YES decision does not mean that the FAAA or its members will automatically give Qantas new and never ending concessions.

What it does mean is that the current FAAA leadership will look at each issue on its merits. If a Qantas request has merit and if agreement to the request further strengthens our members’ job security, then naturally we will give such a request favourable consideration.

We are in a new era with the passage of the Howard Governments industrial laws. The FAAA will endeavour to the best of its abilities to maintain an appropriate balance between maintaining our conditions, which by far are the best in the country and at the same time ensuring a high level of job security.

Once again, I thank the entire membership for its continuing strong support. This is the first time a FAAA ballot has been approved by the membership. I wish all of you a peaceful and happy Christmas.

Written and authorised by Michael Mijatov – Secretary International Division.