PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sqdn Ldr Ray Hanna AFC*
View Single Post
Old 20th Dec 2005, 22:49
Fokkerwokker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I too was in the congregation at Ray’s funeral and had also been asked to post a few words. They are regrettably a little late, due to logistical reasons, for which I apologise. I had written this at about the same time as LOMCEVAK and I hope he won’t mind my contribution.

The day was bright and clear as we made our way to the church from the paddock carpark, unable to miss seeing the mound of floral tributes gathering at the graveside in the distance.

Acting as ushers at the church were well known faces from the world of UK display flying. An organ was playing unobtrusively as my lady and I walked down the aisle to take our places. Ray’s coffin, adorned with a huge floral display of lilies, was already in place at the front of the church with family and close friends sat in the choir stalls, facing it from either side.

In the pews in the main body of the church were many recognisable faces, some of whom had worn, in bygone times, the red flying suit with which Ray was so famously associated and were indeed his team members from so long ago. Also present were family, friends and fellow pilots, some of whom, had travelled half the globe for this very sad occasion.

The service started with the singing of a traditional hymn, ‘The Lord is my Shepherd’, which was followed by a reading from Isaiah by Nigel Lamb.
Tudor Owen (our very own Flying Lawyer) then stood up to speak about Ray’s life and times in aviation and about his fine qualities as a man. A hard emotional task but beautifully delivered. Indeed a chuckle rippled through the congregation at the comment that Ray would be wholly embarrassed by ‘all the fuss’ - and that is putting it politely.

Then followed the hymn ‘He who would valiant be’, followed by prayers led by the vicar. The hymn ‘Jerusalem’ was then sung followed by Sarah Hanna reading a poem by Stephen Spender. The vicar brought the church service to a close by reading the blessing during which the the pall bearers advanced forward for the carrying of the coffin.

As the coffin was slowly manoeuvred onto the shoulders of the four men the church fell astonishingly quiet, each individual present locked into their personal thoughts of Ray. Immediate family followed the coffin out of the church with the congregation following respectfully, and silently, behind. The cortege made its way slowly up the sloping ground to the top of the graveyard.
Poignant indeed was the muted sound of a Merlin engine in the chill breeze holding out of sight in the distance as the last of the congregation completed the steep walk to the graveside. The assembly stood in bare-headed silence as the vicar started to read the committal.

An air of expectancy was sated by a rushing, roaring noise as five Hawks of the Red Arrows, trailing smoke, streaked in and banked to the left, abeam the grave in fond salute to their most respected member. Within moments the familiar liquid gold sound of a Merlin at high power reached our ears followed by the sight of MH434 bearing down at speed on the graveyard, seemingly at tree top height. It was a fitting tribute as Ray’s coffin was slowly lowered into the ground next to the grave of his son Mark.
At the conclusion of the committal prayer Ray’s wife Eunice stepped forward to drop flowers onto the polished wood coffin as Sarah, in turn, dropped Ray's well worn flying gloves to be with him for eternity.
In heartrending, symbolic style MH434 circled lazily heavenwards and slowly disappeared from view.

As the immediate family slowly walked back down towards the church and Ray's home, individuals formed a respectful queue to stand for a few moments in front of the open grave with their individual and personal thoughts about Ray. I had a lot to thank Ray for as I too took my turn.

A beautifully simple, yet moving ceremony for a man who came to mean so much to so many.