PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK Resignations
Thread: EK Resignations
View Single Post
Old 20th Dec 2005, 16:18
Uplink

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am not saying I agree with a bond, merely that I understand why they do it. I agree that if you come with a type rating there should be no bond. Show me a major airline that doesnt bond.

As far as a bond being borderline illegal, I cannot say because I am not a lawyer. I have been bonded 4 times in my life. One bond in my early career was deducted from my salary each month over a 2 year period. If you then stayed an extra year they would give you all the bond money back. Of course no one would stay that long. My first bond was for a Navajo of all things. This was when jobs were very scarce. I satyed 2 months and they kept half of my monthly 6500 gbp pa salary. I cant rememebr how much but the pay was crap anyway. My 3rd bond was with a charter airline. It was for 5500 gbp over 2 years. It was fair as it was my first jet job. This bond now has come and gone.

I guess if I didnt want to stay then it would have been a gross inconvienience to me. As far as being fair, well I have had my share of bonds. It hasnt affected me because I have never been in the position of wanting to leave the company prior to my bond being paid off. I know my last company actually would not take any pilot unless his bond was cleared or agreed on. So I guess walking away from paying a bond is not good as it could jeopordize your career.

Is it ethical.......... probably not.