PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Seaplane down off Miami Beach
View Single Post
Old 20th Dec 2005, 14:44
Sheep Guts
Props are for boats!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PT6 shelling
Overtalk,
I can see your point of view. I have witnessed Compressor blade failures and seizures and and Turbine blade failures. But I think everytime the Autofeather did the trick. Do these Turbine Mallards come with autofeather. Also I never heard a turbine failure resulting in uneven running and moving the engine off its mounts. They usually go "pop and stop". More than likely the reason for this would be some sort of prop failure, tip loss or blade loss. And lastly of all the PT6 failures Ive heard none of the Compressor blade, Turbine blades failures, have resulted in the engine shelling its components through the casing. I maybe wrong but never heard of it. The Casing that contains these whirling parts is extremely strong and tested.

Sheep

P.S. A few questions to be answered. Probably only from A&P Mechanics or LAMES that have worked on or have done the PT6 conversion.
1. Does the PT6 Mallard rebuild come with Autofeathering Props and also does it come with Fire Bottles? I am assuming for 135 ops it would be mandatory in such an aircraft?

Last edited by Sheep Guts; 20th Dec 2005 at 14:59.