PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mid-Air Collision - Gloucestershire
View Single Post
Old 20th Dec 2005, 11:37
DFC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From time to time I take some pilots who ask flying in an aircraft with very basic equipment. Despite some of them being (in PPL terms) experienced, they always ask where the attitude indicator or turn coordinator is. They can not seem to understand how we can fly an accurate turn without having some internal indication of bank angle.

All the time, the biggest, clearest horizon is staring them in the face!!!

During PPL training, too much emphasis is done on using xx degrees of bank is turns. This is where the head-in flying starts during critical phases of flight.

For the GST standard, pilots need to maintain an altitude within a 300ft band in smooth air. Why demad that student private pilots keep the altimeter within 50ft of a given level when that requires far more time looking at the altimeter!

Pilots who think and/or say that having a GPS reduces their workload drastically are in the situation of placing far to much reliance on said GPS and are in the unfortunate position of never having learned to navigate properly in the first place. Note that I say navigate and not map read!

Mark 1 eyebal has kept me safe thus far (yes there have been a few close ones) and will continue to do so even at speeds far in excess of the average GA.

What disapoints me most is that when head on to an aircraft we turn right and the other aircraft makes no effort to do their legal requirement. I am sure that pilots do not intentionally break the law or choose to be so lazy that the law is broken, I believe that of the 7 or 8 aircraft I will manoeuvre to avoid between now and the new year flying VFR in the UK, only 1 or 2 will even see us.

-----------

BEagle,

LARS (RIS and RAS) should be limited to IFR flights. Too often we are IFR in class G and can not even get a RIS because of all the VFRs loading the service. VFR pilots should take full responsibility for lookout and not need anyone else to assist them in performing to the basic standard required to hold a PPL.

If that means that some PPLs will not fly on a day where the vis is legal but reduced than that is great. Using RIS as a crutch when flying in marginal conditions (for the speed of the aircraft) is a fools game especially when the radio packs up!

A private pilot who makes the decision to fly based on the availability of an ATS service in class G airspace should not fly. Every VFR flight in class G should be made on the assumption that the flight can be completed VFR without any service (should the need arise).

So sad that most PPLs who obtain a RIS and are told of traffic at 12 O'Clock will always look out the front window directly ahead of the aircraft!

---------

IO540,

You should read the study dome some years back into automation and electronic aids increasing workload on commercial aircraft. IALPA, NASA and I think the CAA all did studies.

You correctly state that workload only reduces when the pilot knows exactly how to use the equipment and it's limitations. Unfortunately from personal experience, few pilots know how to use their GPS units (hand held or panel mounted) to their advantage.

Regards,

DFC