PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NEWCASTLE
Thread: NEWCASTLE
View Single Post
Old 20th Dec 2005, 10:43
transwede

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is rather disappointing that NCL's first long haul scheduled service has been dropped before it even started, but I am among those who had their doubts to its viability. Quite often it is cheaper to fly to the US via the major hubs of LHR, AMS, CDG etc. Airlines like BA, KL and AF often offer extremely cheap connections, sometimes free and lets face it, the fares AA were charging were a little steep. Hopefully CO will step in and save NCL's long haul prospects as I am sure that a averagely priced long haul flight would work, but 7 days a week I am not convinced on.

On the subject of long haul, it is amazing how many pax actually travel down to MAN etc to catch long haul charter flights. Why has no tour operator realised the potential of such routes from NCL. Afterall, POP has proved a best seller, as has SSH from NCL and the SFB flights during the summer are always full. Why not offer the likes of POP/SFB year round, as an alternative winter sun destination? Thomson Holidays were, at one point selling both Cancun and Taba, but have since cancelled both. Maybe even a year round Canada service by Air Transat or Zoom, as YYZ is another highly used route and it has proved it works once a week, indeed a few years back there were 3 YYZ's per week. Maybe a winter 757 service?

Is Newcastle's expansion bubble starting to burst or are airlines looking in the wrong places for new route opportunities? As FR have reduced frequency on routes, as have easy will the new routes from Thomsonfly and Jet2 be so popular? One benefit NCL does have is that there is a varied choice of european services by airlines from the lowcost, full service scheduled and charter markets, though there has been little expansion from the latter two in previous years.