PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CTAF Procedures when TWR Closes
View Single Post
Old 19th Dec 2005, 22:29
one25six

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CTAF Procedures when TWR Closes

This specifically refers to CG, and mostly to Airline RPT aircraft.

What I really want to know is what your company requirements are for descent in to CG when the TWR is off duty.

At 2200 local the Z ATI will normally be recorded - reclassifying C at 3500 and BLW to G.

In G, radar descent can not be assigned even though it can in C - the argument goes that because it is G ATC can no longer give a tracking instruction to ensure the aircraft remains in the appropriate RLSALT segment. (Bearing in mind it may very well be a CG APP rated controller handling the aircraft up to about 2300 local - after that it may only be a BN APP rated controller until 0600 local.)

So the question is - how will you as the PIC plan the descent from your route clearance? It is a worthwhile question - and not as obvious as I originally thought - this conclusion I draw from watching a 'lot' of interesting interpretations.

Document to refer to are the 14 and 32 STARS and the MSA and MDA for the various instrument approaches - as well as the GPS/DME ARR.

Remember - below 4000 ATC can not descend you - but must separate you with other traffic until you pass 3500FT if there are other arrivals and departures.

Also - would you be expected to be issued a STAR by ATC? Would you accept a STAR issued by ATC?