PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cabin Crew Pay
Thread: Cabin Crew Pay
View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2001, 12:02
Mr Seatback 2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

Don't agree with you Evacu8!

I so empathise with you min - nurses are very underpaid and their conditions are terrible. min, I only hope your union does the same hard yards as the FAAA does (the cabin crew union)...

Now then, Evacu8, cabin crew and nursing are definitely two different professions, both of them dealing with people. True in an emergency, when everything goes pear shaped, f/a's are the ones risking life and limb to get the punters out of a burning wreck. However, Nurses deal with MEDICAL emergencies everyday - and for what? Not her fault if her union isn't as strong as ours.

Evacu8, how would you feel having studied 3 years for a degree (and with that, a HECS debt) to do something that fulfils you, only to find out someone with a Senior First Aid certificate is living the high life for more money and better conditions? Like Min said, he/she was grumpy, etc...so would I be if I were in their shoes!!

Let's not forget that the flight attendants today started off with a United Airlines 'stewardess' (name escapes me) who was a former nurse - THEY all had to be former nurses back then, and up until the mid 70's to a point. Even today, they still count nursing experience as a MAJOR plus in recruitment. Nothing like experienced medical help when you need to perform CPR, etc.

Give Min a break Evacu8 - sure our job is important and they aren't in the same industry - but they're very alike in many areas...and we're earning more with better conditions!

I only hope one day min, you're part of my crew. I'm sure you'd bring on board a wealth of welcome experience!