PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Officer Faces Jail - Refuses to Go To Iraq
Old 18th Dec 2005, 15:19
Dave Martin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SASLess,

Well, I'm pretty sure if I had endured what the Iraqi's had over the last two years, now apparently all for the justification of being able to vote, then I would turn out as well.

But I don't think you can really argue that food on the plate, security and seeing an end to occupation wouldn't be a bigger issue to Iraqi's immediate welfare than casting votes, surely? We can guarantee elections, but we can't guarantee survival, or even an end to occuption? Might there be an issue of priorities?

It's all very well saying the end justifies the means - but then, you don't have to endure the means, do you?

I'll look forward to the US reaction to elections in Bolivia and the ongoing reaction to the democratic election in Venezuela (need we forget those distant memories of Nicaragua and Chile), and however much we hate him, a duly elected president of Iran.

Democray seems to be a very flexibile ideal where the US is involved. You seem to think there will be a massive wave of democratisation? All well and good, many will democratise, but in their wake will be those that we deny, and equally so, those that wish to, but for whom, unfortunate alliances between ourselves and their dictators preclude that.

One step forward, followed by one step back, SASless. Take off the rose tinted glasses.