PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgins off to Emirates
View Single Post
Old 18th Dec 2005, 11:46
Foreign Worker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's some interesting info.
I attended a nationalisation ceremony recently at one of the Australian embassies (overseas).
Amongst the other "new" Australians was a quite well-spoken Chinese (Taiwanese) lady, who unlike the others, had no family or friends with her to witness her "Australianisation".
A little curious as to how she had qualified for Aussie citizenship, I asked her if she was married to an Australian. The reply was in the negative, and so I asked her outright how she had gained eligibility. She used a term like "skilled labour" or "desired labour", or something similar.
Previous to this, she had stated that she was about to embark on an examination shortly, that would better qualify her to continue her work in the country she now resided in - which is not Australia, nor is her employer an Australian company.

When I asked her if she would be applying for an Australian passport, she also answered in the negative.

So WHY would she desire Australian citizenship?

Apparently it had been "offered" to her (by whom, I have no idea), because of the labour category she fell into.
And that was........................an aviation avionics engineer.

There won't be any need to bring in "foreign" labour - they'll all be Australians!