PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CX interview sim/400 Sim (Merged).
View Single Post
Old 18th Dec 2005, 09:13
apu hunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Definitely get sim time!

Hi guys,

I interviewed with CX this year and didn't make it thru the second interview. Obviously, they'll never let you know what (or "whats") went wrong, but the sim is probably the only area in which you can really prepare yourself before you go out there for the interview.

All the notes that Hellenic wrote are quite correct. But so are Spektor and JSB. I have been flying wide bodies for quite a while and the fact is that no matter how much experience you have, handling a sim (at least, in my sincere opinion) is always a little trickier than flying the real airplane. It takes some getting used to, which you're not gonna have time for once you get there.

Remember that, like Hellenic said, you will be evaluated for basic skills, airmanship etc. That's true. But it's also true that if we spend lots of our limited (by nature) RAM memory on trying to keep the wings level, pitch in the right place, cross-checking altitudes, speed, bank, power etc you'll find yourself in a very uncomfortable situation when you figure that you still have to use a profile (that they send you) that you might not be used to (although they are all pretty much standard nowadays), handling flying qualities that you're not used to and trying to keep everything as neat as possible... Plus, of course, the fact that you will be under stress, nervous etc.

Furthermore, because of my current company policy, I have done very little raw data/manual (no FD, AT, AP) flying lately. So, if that's the case with you, too, definitely get some sim time before going for it.

If I could only rewind the tape, I would never have gone out there without better preparing myself. It would have been a great investment. If you don't have the bucks, get a loan! But get the sim time!

By the way, the check guys were really great, everything pretty much straight forward, according to the syllabus, except for them asking you to roll into a 60 degree turn when you're about to finish your second 45-degree. And also, they will give you an engine fire while on downwind leg on your last approach.

No big deal, like everyone else says, but be as prepared as you can, cause, in my opinion it seemed like a great contract.

Hope it helps. It's my sincere cut on this subject.

And good luck to all of you!

AH