PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NEWCASTLE
Thread: NEWCASTLE
View Single Post
Old 18th Dec 2005, 00:18
skyman771

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some how I think American didn't want to operate the route
Workmaster, I tend to agree with this sentiment. I really could not get my head around as to why AA would wish to open up a link to NCL, and now to read Parkin stating that they won a bidding war with CO, a carrier with far more in depth experience in UK regional airports is something I find absolutely incredible. This was even more incomprehensible when on a practical basis JFK (AA)was compared to EWR (CO)as a hub for practical US connections.
However what I also find difficult to comprehend is that Parkin is able to suggest that CO may come back into the frame. On a "micro" basis if I were the underbidder in a bidding war, two things, firstly if reapproached I'd realise my much stronger position & the cost would be that much greater, and secondly I would probably have moved on to other interests. Time does not stand still, AA has pulled out using fuel costs as an excuse, CO would not even need that to hold out for a "give away" deal.
It is abundantly clear to anyone reading the current press that the airport are desperate for "another suitor", my opinion is that CO is currently as exposed as it needs to be on it's UK route expansion policy,is happy for a period of consolidation, and can now see that there is absolutely no urgency to move into NE England as there are no other practical candidates out there.
I really hope I'm wrong, but I can see all the expectation simply dissapating, and it will indeed require some positive moves in improved airline ecconomics on a global scale before NCL has another chance at the US market.
However on the question of long haul routes in general, I still see a route to the Middle East, wherever, being the next most likely destination for a non IT route. Though hopefully Parkin "et al" will have learned that if this is the case, it will be necessary "to court" the most experienced suitor ie in this instance Emirates, as opposed to other more "fringe" operators whose names have been mooted on other discussion forums.