PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Steps of Becoming an Airline Pilot?
View Single Post
Old 24th Oct 2001, 15:57
B'ar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well Stevie Think hard and long although this can be tough at your age. I have flown everything from cessna's to Boeings and the only thing that saved my ass when the S**t hit the fan was a degree and a postgrad qualification that I did as a hobby. When you look at the money you put in and the ridiculous lengths you go to get a job it really is NOT worth it. I make twice as much now as when I flew ( which even after 14 years it did not pay for itself in FV figures!). As always prioritise and realise that the gee up you get today may not match the gee up you get tommorow. Let's face it wages and conditions in Airlines will be nothing to write home about for the next ten years just ask the AN Boys or the Virgin boys or the QN boys once Dixon is finished...

Just remember that everyone that gives you advice is tainted by their own experience. Those with degrees will say do it ,those without will say you don't need one. To me all you need is an out when someone pulls the plug and you have a young family and no money. Think it over and then buy yourself a newsagency! GOOD LUCK WHICH EVER WAY YOU GO>....