PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Steps of Becoming an Airline Pilot?
View Single Post
Old 20th Oct 2001, 20:28
Luke SkyToddler

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Stevieboy -

If you've got a UK parent or grandparent then you should have the right to permanent UK residency.

If you come here with a low time Oz CPL/IR you will find it to be damn near worthless however, and you will have to go through a huge amount of crucifyingly expensive compulsory retraining to get the equivalent European licence. It will cost you more to convert the licence than it ever did to get it in the first place - trust me, I've done it.

Unfortunately there is no guarantee of a job here either, all those 200 hour wonders getting jet jobs in Britain that you see on the 'Wannabes' forum have mostly come from a few very select full time schools and paid upwards of £50,000 for their training.

There are plenty of 1,500 hour instructors hanging round in flying schools in Britain waiting for their first airline jobs, just like there are down under. GA here is almost non existent, which makes it even more difficult to get those hours you need unless you want to instruct.

In the current world economic climate I would be very cagey about committing any money to a flying career right now. Things are going to go very quiet with global airline recruiting for at least the next few months and depending on how things go with Afghanistan, possibly the next few years. When it does come right, there is going to be a long queue of people like myself who got qualified before the recession and have been hour building and waiting for their turn.

Sorry to be the bearer of negative opinions