PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - WestJet
Thread: WestJet
View Single Post
Old 17th Dec 2005, 18:16
yoohoo748

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Too Much Cool-Aid

Slapshot; far too much cool-aid for you. Same for WJman (nothing personal guys… I am sure that you guys would be good guys to go for a pint with) I don’t know what carrier that you worked for overseas but if it didn’t work out for you that is too bad. Working overseas can really open ones eyes to the rest of the world. I have only been overseas for a short period and I am already looking to get my first Porsche (could never dream of that in Canada… Even if I was working for Canada’s number one carrier (A/C if anybody is wondering)). Keep in mind that I was never really an a/c fan; Canadian was more my choosing… just realize who really is number one in Canada. I am not only talking passenger numbers, but also lifestyle and pay. To think that WJ can hold a candle to what A/C can offer us is silly. Absurd. I know that all (most?) people at westjet think that they are at the top of the heap, and that is the culture. That is ok... but one has to realize that while they may be number one in a few areas, they really are number two wanting to be number one.

Back to my original point. The industry in Canada has been headed for the toilet. Low cost airlines might be a good place to gain some time, but if you can some how avoid that pit, do so. A/C or overseas. Get yourself out there. For our sakes and for our future peers. Low cost is here to stay, but that does not have to mean low pay; if we play hard to get by not taking the easy route the ‘wj’s’ of the future will have to buck up to find people. We have put too much blood and sweat into this to be paid peanuts. For the responsibility and hard work we all need to be remunerated accordingly. We put in long days and our job is on the line up to 4 times a year when you consider rides and medicals alone. I have seen competent guys fail rides, and healthy guys fail medicals. NO guarantees. A colleague of mine who is close to retiring said that if you are able to get a seat at a legacy carrier, get it, then never let it go. That is what he has done, and he has done very well. There are a few people in Calgary who might consider WJ to be a legacy carrier, but others might not see it that way. Perhaps WJ will make it, I don’t know. But A/C is the proven and they are looking (last I heard, but I am out of the loop). Overseas for those that don’t get on is a great choice, maybe not for all though. Some can’t hack it and put the blame on ‘the high cost of living overseas’. What they forget is with this higher cost comes a larger disposable income and better lifestyle.

Oh, and one more thing. My facts are not what they seem to be; they are feelings. WJ might be able to provide a ‘decent’ living, and stock options might be working out for some; but there is nothing better than seeing my paycheck with no deductions. None. Two months holidays a year? To start? And making the equivalent of 160k CAD to start? Not bad…. I kinda like it. A Canadian outfit would have offer me much more than that for me to miss out on the experience.

Have a good day.

PS… If some of this post does not make ton’s of sense chalk it up to Gentleman Jack. He was serving a good bit of flavour tonight.