PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sqdn Ldr Ray Hanna AFC*
View Single Post
Old 17th Dec 2005, 12:53
LOMCEVAK

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have been asked to post a few words about Ray's funeral last Thursday, and I know that his family will be touched by your interest in this farewell to him.

The funeral took place in a small, beautiful church in the quiet Suffolk village that had been Ray's home for many years. It was attended by his family and close friends; from his village and from New Zealand, from today's air display community and his old Red Arrows team mates, from Cathay Pacific and all of Ray's other walks of life. One of the other Spitfire legends, Alex Henshaw, also came to pay his respects.

The service and hymns were very traditional and appropriate. Nigel Lamb read a passage from the Bible and Ray's daughter, Sarah, read a poem that epitomised my memories of Ray's character.

Tudor Owen (Flying Lawyer) eloquently gave an address that described Ray's life as a pilot, a husband, a father and simply as a great man; many aspects of this address have already been included in posts on this thread. It was a service that, whilst tinged with much sadness, was a true celebration of his life with a great tribute to Ray.

The coffin was carried from the church and up the gentle slope of the churchyard, followed by a procession of the mourners. Uncannily, a rainbow then appeared in the thin cirrus cloud layer high in the crisp, clear blue sky. As the coffin was lowered into a grave alongside that of Ray's son, Mark, the Red Arrows flew past in a 5-ship vic formation. This was followed by a final tribute, a low pass over the grave by the aircraft that had become synonymous with Ray, Spitfire MH434, flown by his former Breitling Fighters wingman, Lee Proudfoot.

Ray's family and friends then made the short walk to his home which overlooks the church and Ray and Mark's graves. Many stories were told of the wonderful times that we had all spent with him. For me, it was a day of sadness but one which made me realise what a great privilege it had been to have been able to fly with someone who will always be respected as probably the greatest display pilot that any us will ever know.

Ray, we will never forget you or what you gave to us all. Thank you.