PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircrew Fatigue
Thread: Aircrew Fatigue
View Single Post
Old 17th Dec 2005, 11:15
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Once more I read a new glossy brouchure advertising the delights of passenger a) sleeper seats with moderate recline, b) full recline seats, c) full beds. Arrive refreshed is the advertising cry.
I consider the standard Boeing seat to be utter rubbish. My 11 year old Opel has a more comfortable seat. After a 10 hour journey I fell better, i.e. less back ache, from my car journey than a megamillion U$ Boeing. Anyone else agree?

After a few years of long-haul, no bunks and horendous duty times of 16 hours, it was essential to cat nap on a night flight. The recline is not enough in a Boeing seat to support your back and use the head rest. I woke up more stiff, but a little rested. meanwhile the pax, all cuddled up and cosy, arrived refreshed. the pilots arrive knackered. Somethings wrong there, methinks. I feel A simple solution would be to design the cockpits so that the pilot's seat can fully, or nearly fully, recline. Compare a long distance lorry seat to ours. Any self respecting lorry driver would walk off the jobvif he had to spend his shorter duty times in our seats.

OK, it would cost the cabin 1 row of seats, perhaps. But with proper design, probably not even that.