PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Videos of LTE?
Thread: Videos of LTE?
View Single Post
Old 16th Dec 2005, 19:38
[email protected]

Received 652 Likes on 287 Posts
Big Mike - I am not suggesting for a moment that you or any of your crews are operating outside the RFM - you used the term LTA when I think you meant LTE.

My point, if you accept my definition of LTA, is that you only reach the maximum travel of yaw pedal on a well designed helicopter in extreme conditions, one of which is operating outside the limits set by the manufacturer. LTE on the other hand is waiting to bite you if the manufacturer hasn't made the TR powerful enough (insufficient control margins) within the normal flight envelope.

The sensitivity to a downwind component (PF1's post) is something you can experience in many helicopters especially in turbulent conditions like mountain flying and comes down to an awareness of relative wind, lever position, airspeed etc and if this bites you it is usually because you lacked one of the above and failed to anticipate/feel the aircraft's desire to yaw. If you compound this by flying an aircraft that has poor yaw control margins in the first place then you get a lot of pilots being spun round when they didn't expect it. The problem with the prescribed recovery (ie full pedal and hold it) is that few pilots are willing to do it because it feels so different to the norm that 'it can't be right' and they let the rate of yaw increase.