PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK flying mags versus US flying mags
View Single Post
Old 16th Dec 2005, 17:04
stuartforrest

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IO540 I know you are knowlegable about most subjects but I hope I am correct about this one ( actually I would love to be wrong).

The 396 relies on XM satellite radio to be the carrier of its weather signals and their coverage does not stretch outside US and Canada.

This means that in the UK a Garmin 396 will effectively become an even more expensive 296 as its main benefit wont work. I guess I was a bit flippant saying it wont work because of course the GPS will work but then who would buy a 396 when they could get a 296 much cheaper with all the same features if you fly in europe.

Oscar Kilo

About the subscription to flying. I would suspect you go to flyingmag.com but I bought a copy in the states and then filled in the little card. The put another card in every month. I have one on my desk now. If you PM me to get my address and send me an SAE I will happily send you the card. I pay by credit card and it seems to work fine.

This time it is 2 year for $14 or two years for $24. Yes that is not a missprint!!! There is an additional $8 for postage per year but that makes it about £12 for twelve issues delivered to your door and when you reckon on they have at least double the content of the UK mags you can count that as at least £100 worth in the UK mags terms.

Funnily enough I got mine yesterday after posting my first entry and I can assure you it is packed with articles that are of interest to the UK pilot unless you prefer to look at Castles from the air in which case you are completely out of luck!!