PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 'Scathing' report on BA Maintenance practices
Old 16th Dec 2005, 11:18
Krystal n chips
Thought police antagonist

Location: Where I always have been...firmly in the real world
Received 119 Likes on 86 Posts
Quell surpise ! Before I comment, let me say this is not a "BA bashing" post, not that I would be overly concerned if it was construed as such--however.

The incident itself is the tip of the iceberg I feel. BA "managers" are simply the holders of a job title--nothing else. Which is but one of the many reasons why the standards have been in decline for years now--fortunately without a major incident. To compound the problems, there is the very pervasive and intrinsic problem of the culture that prevails. Change that, as other have suggested and you might, just might, begin to resolve some of the issues that plague Engineering. BA "managers" are immune from faults and failings--the workers are not--- hence the Blame culture. However, outmoded working practices also contribute---ever seen 6, yes 6 people attempt to change a 737 mainwheel ? Get real. Two max. and even then 90% of the work can be done by one engineer. Just one example I could offer. As for the flexibility of the stamp--hardly a first in any airline I agree, but more flexible than most seems to be the case within said organisation.

The whole organisation needs the equivalent of a "D" check--there's enough human corrosion in there anyway ! ---but unless the culture across Engineering changes pdq, then I have a nasty feeling that sooner, rather than later, the front pages will have the wrong and tragic headlines that nobody wants to read.

Lets not forget that, at one time, before they sold off the "family silver" BA Engineering, despite it's many failings, could actually offer a world class service compared to many others. Not anymore.