PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK flying mags versus US flying mags
View Single Post
Old 16th Dec 2005, 10:59
yawningdog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This topic keeps poping up, "why aren't the uk mags as good as the US mags, The US Flying Magazine is always quoted as an example."

Yet there is always a response that seems to justify why the UK magazines need to be the way they are, even though people are ASKING for something different.

Who cares how many valid IR holders there are in the UK. What about the invalid ones? Shame on them. What about all the IMC rated pilots, the invalid ones, and the instrument students?

Don't patronize us. Just because we are from the UK, it doesn't mean we do not aspire to, or are not interested in the more complex side of aviation. If people are going to the extent of subscribing to US based magazines rather than UK ones, then the UK Magazines should sit up and wonder, WHY?

In my opinion, the UK magazines are "samey" and thin on content. Too many pictures, not enough intellectual comment, repetitive flight tests, and frankly pretty lousy travel briefs. The UK magazines seem very formula based where each month there will be an article within a particular category, even if the article is not very strong.

I'm sure that it's all down to the bottom line. The circulation over here is small compared to the US, so the lower revenue will reflect upon the quality. But that shouldn't be the case, it's the chicken & egg syndrome I fear. Lets start EXPORTING our magazines to the US rather than the other way round.

"Oscar Kilo", you can subscribe to Flying via their Internet site.