PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - £60,000 - £70,000 debt? WORTH IT?
View Single Post
Old 15th Dec 2005, 09:25
Sempre Volando

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lots of very valid points here indeed and it must be an extremely difficult choice right now especially given that 'paying for your own type-rating' seems to becoming the norm these days.

Oxford do have a very good reputation for training and many airlines do contact them to invite their best graduates for selection, including the airline I work for! BUT you have to be one of those lucky ones who Oxford think are the best I guess.
Just try and choose a school with a good reputation.

Modular route is good if you have a wel paid job before starting your training and enables you to keep working when your training is being done. However it's all about continuity of training for many airlines so don't take about 5 years to complete it all.

The ATP scheme through CTC has to be a good option, and the cheaper Modular route might enable you to plan and have funds available for this scheme. I know of many people who have gone through CTC who got that first job quickly enough with a decent company and it saves all the hassle of sending countless numbers of CV's off for what could be a good few years.

Lastly, when you have finished your training and if you can afford to do so, then get a job working in the office for an airline!!!! Your foot is in the door etc so try and choose one that recruits low-hour pilots.

Other than that, enjoy your training and try make as many contacts as possible!