PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK flying mags versus US flying mags
View Single Post
Old 15th Dec 2005, 08:35
stuartforrest

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I subscribe to Flying from the US and have it mailed and it is cheap as chips and has tons more reading in it. The only annoying thing is that it contain stories and adverts for things we cant use over here such as the Garmin 396.

I often buy UK pilot mags but I always flick through them to see if there is anything worth reading and many times there isnt.

Last year I offered to write a story (free of charge) for one of these mags about me purchasing my Bonanza A36 from Berlin and the trials and tribulations of putting it on the N Reg etc.

The editor of the magazine wrote back saying they were only interested in stories that would appeal to the majority of readers etc etc. I thought it would be interesting for a lot of people what it was like to buy a plane from a foreign country and do all the registration stuff and then fly it back to the UK.

That month they had a three page spread on flying over Castles in the UK. It was total s**te. These editors of UK mags basically put any old rubbish in there.

Has anyone read Loop, the new flying newspaper. Its pretty good and its also free. I hope they keep going because it has more reading than any of the £3.90 glossy mags.