PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tornados in the South Atlantic
View Single Post
Old 14th Dec 2005, 18:04
g126

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pr00ne, an engineer. I'm not going to fly them, just fix them.

WI, no I am definately not better off with the pongos, and yes I am fully aware that they are two completely different aircraft, however I was unaware of the magnitude of the difference between the entry dates, I had, wrongly assumed, that they entered service at a similar time. And we have already ruled out Ascension.

All, yes, I may only be a young man, with a lot to learn, however I've got to learn it somewhere, and this seems to me to be as good a place as any.

And if there was any implication that, to join today's air force you need this level of knowledge before entry, then quite frankly I am shocked. I have a lot more knowledge on these matters than a lot of the people going down the same route as me. I don't know maybe that says something about the future. How many of you had this level of knowledge before entering? Maybe that is why I asked for proffesional opinions.

I realise that it is hypothetical, although I did point that out at the start. My original post was to try to gain information whilst possibly starting a bit of a debate on air power in the falklands. Not to call into question my reasons for joining the air force. Rant over.

And inadvertantly WI you may have finished my argument with my green friend here rather well.

5. I hope someone somewhere determined that having dedicated interceptors down there was a good idea since we spent an awful lot of money building an airfield and many people have spent months at a time on that pitiful rock, bored out of their tree (if there were any bloody trees, that is).
The Tornados would not be there if they did not have a use. Surely, post 1982, someone saw the need for interceptors on the Falklands.