PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tornados in the South Atlantic
View Single Post
Old 14th Dec 2005, 16:32
Fg Off Max Stout

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dirty,

Only too happy to entertain but the edit was to add Gannets to the list not not to adjust grammar. The lack of a decent AEW capability was a serious hindrance in the campaign.

I can only emphatically agree that the Harriers, light and dark blue, did a tremendous job in the Falklands - legendary efforts from the pilots, an unbeatable can do attitude from the groundies. No complaints and no alternative.

You do recall that this question is hypothetical. In this hypothetical scenario, I still think that the previous generation of carriers and their air wings would have had a greater capability.

What would I have done differently? Not much to be honest. I think the campaign was directed almost faultlessly and made best use of the resources we had at the time. After all, victory was achieved despite the odds being against us. But......with the benefit of hindsight, I would not have left the defence of the islands to a platoon of bootnecks when the diplomatic situation was going divergent and I would have pressed ahead with SF raids on Argentinian airfields to take out their FJ capability. I would probably also nuke Buenes Aires. Joke.