PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tornados in the South Atlantic
View Single Post
Old 14th Dec 2005, 15:20
Washington_Irving

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You're having a laugh aren't you?

Ascension to Falklands?

1. It's 4000 miles each way.

2. I can't even begin to do the maths on how many tankers would be required. (Remember that the tankers need tanking too.)

3. 8000 miles over water on (hopefully) two engines with the prospect of someone taking pot shots at you half way. Oh and no diversions since Brazil is too far away. Hmm, nice idea but I think I'll pass.

4. Even if that doesn't put you off, go outside and sit down, wearing a rubber suit that is hotter than the pits of hell, on a big, flat lump of concrete for the better part of 16+ hours without moving. You can only eat and drink whatever can be be smuggled into your pockets and a little white box. You will have to pee (sitting down and only after having to draw your wedding tackle through about 6 different layers of clothing) into a big plastic bag with a sponge in it. God forbid the curry you had last night decides to visit and you have to swamp yourself. Don't forget to arrange for the local chavs start hurling bricks at you for 5 minutes or so around about hour 8. Then tell me if you think it'd be a good idea to try.

The longest non-stop transit of tactical a/c I heard of was by US F15s from the East Coast to Saudi in 1991. They were packed to the gills with fuel, not bombs (fewer tankings), had KC-10s (we didn't have Timmy in '82 either) with them all the way, had the luxuries of not having anyone shooting at them and being within dashing distance of a friendly base at all times once they got across the Atlantic.