PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Officer Faces Jail - Refuses to Go To Iraq
Old 14th Dec 2005, 13:30
RileyDove

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Swinging Monkey - I think the detail is that the Doctor doesn't think that the request to go is a Legitamate order on the basis
of the UNSCR and subsequent information gained since that has
proved that the case for war was made stronger.
He is acting on his own and much as it seems to some that he is letting the side down -he can only really be effecting his future. People will continue to join the RAF - I would suggest that the numbers joining the Army will be down based on recent publicity.
This isn't a case of either thinking he is right or wrong -it's a matter of him proving that he has a case not to go and the RAF vice versa. I have no problem with the principle - you can guarantee that if he overstepped the mark in anyway whilst on duty the forces would be down on him like a ton of bricks. Examine how many prosecutions are going through at the moment of servicemen - proving the legitamacy of orders and how they are carried out is of prime importance if we expect our
servicemen to fight for us and not end up in court.

SASless - without wishing to get involved in the whole Democrat/Republican thing . John Kerry might not be to everyone's taste but he spent part of the Vietnam War actually
under fire. George W Bush was I believe in Florida wearing the USAF uniform but I don't believe he got any closer than that.
When I was last over there we got to see all the adverts from his (Kerry's)'comrades' on how he wasn't a hero and all that stuff.
It's really not my kind of thing - he might not be the hero that
some portray him as but he has been in combat and seen people die - that might just make someone more thoughtful when sending people off to war.

Last edited by RileyDove; 14th Dec 2005 at 13:48.