PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - £60,000 - £70,000 debt? WORTH IT?
View Single Post
Old 14th Dec 2005, 12:22
Superpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"I think some people go into this situation with tunnel vision"

I attended a seminar at Oxford recently. I happened to turn up on a day that a new (or several new) APP courses started. I even had the opportunity to sit in on a class full of integrated students. Never seen so many pubescent's in one class! (well not since school anyway). And that's the point I would now like to make....

At that age, you can't have too many responsibilities in life. so I seriously doubt it if most of them thought long and hard about the HSBC loan they took out. No wife, no kids, no mortgage...Not a worry in the world.

The other type of person who would readily take on such a debt must be someone who is older but has no responsibilities or someone who is older, has responsibilities but at the same time has the money to cope with everything - Translates: "Is Rich"

Now most people above the age of 25 have responsibilities that would mean them getting 60-70k in to debt AND BEING OUT OF WORK FOR NEARLY TWO YEARS is out of the question. I guess you are in this position?

Don't get me wrong, the £60-70k in-debtr's have an extremely high chance of finding employment after graduation due to Oxford's / FTE's links with the industry....and this might be a good enough reason for some people. But I for one, would prefer the modular route anyday.

I spent £5k on my PPL and will spend another £30k on the rest of my professional training. At least half of the time it takes me to complete my professional training I will have the opportunity to work. And so what if it takes me a year to find my first flying job, I can still go back to doing what I have been doing for the last 5 years earning a decent salary.

Just my two pence worth. Have a nice day