PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - £60,000 - £70,000 debt? WORTH IT?
View Single Post
Old 14th Dec 2005, 12:09
Stpaul

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well there will be many on here that say that you cannot put a price on doing what you enjoy! But you can be a realist.
A hugh debt like that takes some repayment. Work out how you are going to repay it, if you imagine you will take 10 years to repay it and even if the bank do not charge any interest, thats nearly £600 per month out of your NET pay (i.e after tax). so its going to mean that you will not be able to get a loan or a mortgage, let alone afford one!
Then you have to account for the employment market, will you get a job immediately, will you have to pay for a type rating (£20,000), instructors rating, the cost of living, rent etc etc.
Then you might start on a salary of £20,000, thats about £1200 take home pay, you will have all your expenses to pay, rent bills, council tax etc. So it needs careful planning.
For those that go into flying for the money are living in a different world and yes I believe hundreds go into it with blinkers on! I've met Integrated Students at Oxford you have paid out £50,000 plus without ever having been up in a plane for a trial lesson!

But at the end of the day, if its what you really really want to do and you have done all your research properly there will be a handful of flight schools that will use all their charm and lies to grab that cash out of your hand and when you have completely finished they will completely forget about you!

I wish you luck!