PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Engine failure in the climb question
View Single Post
Old 13th Dec 2005, 20:05
Wildwilly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To those who posted replies to my original question, thank you.

I would however ask if anyone can tell me if there is a formula for working out the time from failure to established auto, given any ROC, IAS and weight.

Nick, I agree with you with regard to the inflow angles and initial rotor decay being faster than it would be in the cruise. This is what initiated my original question. I have asked a few high-time instructors for their view and they have all said the same thing - work it out on paper, as having thought about it and discussed it for a while they have expressed concern. I've tried but can't get my head around the physics/math.

Idle stop said "please leave we test pilots to do the 'exciting' stuff". I agree - I'm not too keen on going out and finding the answer to my question by ending up in a smoking heap.

Cyclic flare said "an engine failure at 500 ft in the climb should not be too much trouble for the experienced pilot". In principle I agree, however what is your definition of an 'experienced' pilot? I suspect not all R22 pilots will fall into this category.

As I said in my original post, there must be a ROC which is too high to recover from should the engine quit suddenly. How does one work out what this is and how much influence does the forward speed factor have? What about your density altitude? The R22 POH doesn't state a maximum ROC. It just states under 'Airspeeds for safe operation' 60kts for takeoff & climbs and 53kts for max rate of climb.

I would hate to tell a student (I don't) that they can climb out at 1,000fpm all day if they like if the reality is that this is needlessly putting them in a potentially fatal position.

I know as helicopter pilots we fly around all day doing things which are potentially dangerous/fatal - that's the nature of our profession, however I would like to think that where possible we try to minimise the time spent in these flight envelopes. It's not that I want to dwell upon something which is unlikely (although it has happened) to occur but rather that I would just like a straightforward answer to what I think is a valid question.

Thanks again for any replies.