PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANSTON
Thread: MANSTON
View Single Post
Old 13th Dec 2005, 19:26
Rupert369

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Manston

Thought I would start a new MANSTON thread under the new rules, as there are a few separate posts but no single location for news about Kent International Airport.
May I start by asking if anybody yet has any further news on Twitcher's earlier information that "There definitely IS something going to happen very soon."? If this is true then its very exciting news for the airport and for Kent.
What exactly is being done to the runway?
To ASCIL, whilst I am really optimistic for the future of the airport, I really cannot see it being "the next STN." True, it does have a huge runway, more than capable of handling 747 movements, but the rail link to which you refer doesn't exist (nearest station = Ramsgate, and there are currently very poor transport links to this.) In addition, the airport is essentially surrounded on three sides by sea (give or take a mile or two) and is further from London traffic than STN. Nevertheless, with other airports nearing capacity, Manston certainly has a strong future, IMHO.
I hope this thread can be used for all future Manston / KIA news, as it will be good to have a single home for such posts, as other airports do.

Last edited by Rupert369; 21st Jan 2006 at 22:29.