PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EDI Radar
Thread: EDI Radar
View Single Post
Old 13th Dec 2005, 18:55
callyoushortly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brain Fade

You're striking a nerve asking if PF controllers are better than PH It's a bit unfair to compare when they're totally different traffic situations!!
As for packing the traffic, my watch do our best (I can't speak for the others) and don't get me wrong, it's not perfect and we're probably not destined for LL approach but we try. We also get it wrong but I'd say it's the thought that counts, and practice will hopefully make perfect!!
Do let me know when you want to visit, I'd love to question some of your thoughts over a brew

Capt Mayday

There's no throw-back at all to the backtrack days. The standard gap is (and has been for the few years I've been here) six miles. When a backtrack gap was requested it then became 8-10 miles depending on several factors. Why they pack them tighter at PF I dunno, you'd have to ask them!!
High speed turnoffs are not in place at PH which would help efficiency, but I believe there's not enough space between the runway and 'A' taxiway to allow an aircraft to turn off after a rapid exit turnoff, so they're not going to happen anytime soon.
As for your other points re trainees and experienced controllers, I fail to see it's relevance. Trainees will sometimes push things tighter than an old hand as they haven't learnt the art of licence preservation and it's not their licence to lose. Conversely, old hands may push it tighter as they've got the experience to fall back on. It's not a black and white situation either way, you'll find it depends on the individual controller. Maybe the PF controllers are just a bit daring than us or maybe it's down to other factors, I honestly don't know. There'll always be a difference between controlling styles, that's the nature of humans, but why there's such a stark difference between units escapes me, surely there must be other factors involved not just controlling ability.......