PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Favourite Cabin Crew Uniform
View Single Post
Old 13th Dec 2005, 17:20
flybywire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Emma.

I see your point of view. I cannot share it though, as I do feel that trousers give us a bit more authority. Just my personal feeling. This is airline #3 and uniform #6 for me!!

Authority does not only depend on what you wear, it depends on the kind of passengers you carry. In FCA, the pink skirt was not helpful in dealing with agressive/potentially disruptive passengers. I wished many times I had had trousers then.

It might sound stupid to many of you but it really makes a difference. I alternate skirts/trousers and I can feel a difference in people's reactions (only a minority. The majority doesn't care about what you wear, they only care about spending as little as possible, getting from A to C via B without losing any bags, making the connections and possibly getting there in one piece!).

I do not believe that women who wear a skirt uniform are more glamorous than women who wear trousers. I am sure I look better when I wear the trousers as I can move better, more freely, and look more spontaneous.
I can also "play" those games that I am sure Rescue 137 loves much better!! (dear when r u flying with us!)

I wouldn't choose an airline for their uniform. I wouldn't choose a job for the uniform. I choose the airline for its professionalism, safety record and quality of life. If I had had to choose an airline for the uniform they "offer" I wouldn't be here now, as when I joined BA we were all still dressed like clowns (or like Queen Elizabeth II, like my granny says......no offence intended!! )

As for colds.....when you stand at the back of a 737 with both doors open, and it's -3 degrees and windy.....and you do it 3-4 times everyday.....I promise you, trousers make a huge difference to the number of colds you get (caused by cold weather, not by viruses). Also I can wear thick stockings, instead of the usual 20 den.

With this I don't want to say that you are wrong, at all. Everybody has different opinions, and that's why the world is such an interesting place, and also why we work for different airlines!

Safe flying....whatever you choose to wear

FBW