PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Engine failure in the climb question
View Single Post
Old 13th Dec 2005, 15:56
idle stop

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The EFATO in the climb in the R22 used to be demonstrated to students at Bristow's Redhill FTS. From a standard climb at 60 KIAS and above 200 ft the engine failure was simulated with a throttle chop. (This was prior to the Robinson SN advising against throttle chops.) RRPM would fall to the flight minimum, or transiently slightly below, but recovered quickly as the lever was lowered and with a slight flare, that was generally progressed to form the 'flare' phase of the SEOL. Not fully established in auto, so high rate of descent; positive flare; generally no problems. The student 'repeat' of the FI demo was initiated by lowering the lever after the standard verbal warning of PEF...Go.
The exercise served to reinforce the importance of keeping one's hand on the lever when climbing...........the regulatory certification 'pilot intervention time' in this configuration would leave little margin. DON'T BE TEMPTED TO TRY THIS.
I think I am correct in saying that the only SEOL accidents the Bristow FTS had with the R22 were a high-speed low-level, gone wrong (in the bottom sector of the avoid curve) and a hover SEOL, where a cyclic input by the student left the aircraft temporarily balanced on one skid. It could have fallen either way, but unfortunately........
Anyway, in both cases everybody walked away.
At the risk of repeating myself (I've said similarly in the past about 'going to the edge' ) please leave we test pilots to do the 'exciting' stuff: note the advice on these pages but do fly your aircraft at all times within the flight manual limits and in accordance with the manufacturer's recommendations.

Last edited by idle stop; 13th Dec 2005 at 17:12.